Vast new plant in construction – To be ready at beginning of 1937.
For the past six months visitors to the Standard factory at Canley will have noticed steel scaffoldings, the white tiles roofs of new buildings, temporary warehouses for building materials and other items of large-scale construction activity.
This huge new scheme of extensions and alterations, now almost complete, has involved a sum of £350,000. It provides for both the increase in total production facilities and reorganisation of the present works. A new assembly track for 150 cars per day will raise the maximum weekly output to 1,500 cars. New machine, testing and finishing shops ensure the high quality of Standard cars will be maintained.
New blocks of offices are being built, and a new Service Depot, probably one of the finest and best equipped of its sort in the country, on the new Fletchamstead Highway, has just been completed.
These new extensions will increase the total productive area of the Standard factory from 830,000 sq ft to 1,060,000 sq ft.
Work has proceeded rapidly throughout the past season, and it is expected that the factory will be completed before the end of the year. Captain John Black, who has done so much to promote the fortunes of the Standard Motor Company, has taken a close personal interest in the new extensions.