This photo was sent through recently and shows the last TE20 at Banner Lane.
Banner Lane was the site of a wartime shadow factory in Coventry run by the Standard Motor Company and dedicated to making Bristol Hercules aero engines. The war-surplus plant was taken over by Standard in 1946 to make Ferguson tractors and it was made Standard’s registered office. After the 1959 sale of Standard’s part ownership of the tractor partnership to Massey Ferguson it became Massey Ferguson’s base for tractor-building operations until production ceased in 2002 and the site was redeveloped for housing.
Continue reading “Banner Lane – Massey Fergusson”
During WW2 The Standard Motor Company had operated on behalf of the Government a new “shadow” factory making aero engines. This 1,000,000 sq ft (92.903 sq m) plant in Banner Lane, Coventry, stood idle once the war had ended and Standard’s managing director Sir John Black was anxious to find a use for it. Such a large empty factory was also of interest to Harry Ferguson and a deal was struck between the two. As usual Ferguson was to be in charge of design, development, sales and service while Standard Motor Company made the tractors for him.