WHEN was the Standard Pipe Band formed, and does it still exist?
SCOTTISH miners came down to Coventry in the years between the wars seeking work at the Binley Pit, and two of them, Jim Cosgrave and Harry Grey, formed a pipe band in 1936. They called it the Binley Village Pipe Band.
During the war many moved into local factories, and some miners, including band members, went to the Standard shadow factory at Banner Lane to work on aero engines. When peace came, and with Jack Grey as pipe major, the band moved to Standard’s Canley factory.
It was here that they became involved with the work of the British Legion, and Standard’s boss Captain John Black kitted the band out with uniforms – in Royal Stuart tartan.
David Murdoch became pipe major in 1951, and Jimmy Tudhope took over in 1972. Our current pipe major, Andrew Brown, has been pipe major for 11 years.
The band’s name changed to the Royal British Legion Triumph Pipe Band, and now has 20 pipers, with six side drummers, three tenor drums and two bass. We take part in competitions all over England and Scotland, play for festivals of remembrance and attend carnivals and fetes.
Our headquarters is the Standard-Triumph Recreation Club in Tile Hill Lane, and we practise on Wednesdays and Fridays. On Sundays there is one- to-one practice for piping.
We are always on the look-out for new members and details are available from Patrick McGlone on 024 7669 5516.
Les Benger, president,
Royal British Legion Triumph Pipe Band.