A Brief History: The Standard Motor Company was founded in Coventry in 1903 by Reginald Walter Maudslay. By 1924 the company had a share of the market comparable to Austin, but by the late 1920s profits had fallen dramatically due to heavy reinvestment, a failed export contract and poor sales of the larger cars. John Black joined the ailing company and by increasing productivity, masterminded the huge success of the company in the 1930s.
Standard acquired Triumph in November 1944 and renamed it the Triumph Motor Company (1945) Ltd.
In 1959 a new organisational structure was introduced, with subsidiary companies forming Standard-Triumph Group Services Ltd. Standard Motor Company Ltd. became the holding and policy-making company for the Standard-Triumph Group under the new name of Standard-Triumph International Ltd. Standard Motor Company (1959) Ltd. was created to act as the main manufactory subsidiary, and was renamed the Standard Motor Company Ltd. in 1959, Standard-Triumph Motor Company Ltd. in 1965, and Triumph Motor Company Ltd. in 1970. Standard-Triumph Sales Ltd. (formerly Standard and Triumph Sales Ltd.) and Standard-Triumph Engineering Ltd. Also acted as subsidiary companies under the new structure.
Standard ceased production in 1963, although Standard engines were used to power Triumph models. Standard engines were also used in some Jaguars up to 1948.